Thursday, 15 November 2012

Wasabi Mustard

It's Mustard Day in Megan and Keely's Fall Colours Fashion Challenge Week, and I'm double-posting today to catch up in time for this weekend's round-up, hooray! Out of all my more clearly yellow things, I most wanted to wear this gold-leaning-toward-pea-green jacket. 


hat: Toronto (early '90s)
black velvet / silk scarf with gold metallic fabric and embroidery: gift from friend / coworker
blouse: Reitman's (2002), last worn here
long yellow-green (citrine!) velveteen jacket: Della Spiga, Winners (2005 or so), last worn here
obi belt: Elizabeth Kelly London, etsy, last worn here
pencil skirt: Smart Set, last worn here
shoes: Fly London, Body Blue (Danforth, Toronto, early 2000s)




I recall hiding under my hat during grad school in 1995, and remember wearing this jacket and shoes in 2005 on the occasion of finally, finally, being united with these boots




It has been so comfortably warm and dry - for mid-November, which also made the Fashion Challenge so much easier - and all I added for warmth on this gorgeously sunny day was the hat and scarf. I haven't found my gloves yet, but luckily didn't need 'em. 


antique silver and mother-of-pearl teardrop necklace: a gift from my mother, last worn here




Besides this and the cap I wore last week, I have just three other hats I'll likely wear sooner or later. Pretty much all except for today's hat I would keep on in the office during the workday. This is the only one which clearly says "outerwear" to me - I don't know how I know this, but there is probably a hat-etiquette reason why. Do you know it?  


I hate to tell you this, but yes - these shoes are as TOTALLY AWESOME and comfortable as one could ask. 




Thanks for all your support and encouragement regarding hats and other matters - I so appreciate your taking the time to visit and comment! 


black watch: a gift from my mother, detail here (along with black and silver usual wrist wear bracelets)
yellow vegetable turquoise bracelet: Gabii (Texas), last worn here




Tomorrow is the final day of the Challenge, Grey - which I suspect I'll be able to handle straight-up. Hope everyone's week is going well, and if nothing else, colourfully! 


20 comments:

  1. Oh, man, I love that chartreuse coat! You ever get tired of that, please send it my way. :)

    Love the shoes - perfectly pointy, kitten heel-y goodness. The way that strap goes down to the heel....oooh. Happy.

    I think it's the size of the brim - a large brim implies outerwear moreso than a small or no brim. That hat is fabuloso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hat is fantastic on you! The shape of the hat with the gorgeous jacket and the shoes to die for create a magical silhouette. And I forgot to mention the obi belt. Brava!

    I agree with Sheila on the size of the brim and the outerwear question. I used to wear hats to work, but always with a very small brim or no brim. I found it hard to work with a brim getting in my way. Sometimes wide brimmed hats are won to special events, luncheons, etc, but that's a different scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this whole ensemble but I was just commenting on Dylan's blog that I'd love a hat very similar to the one you're wearing. How cool to see it again! Your textures are a feast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do LOVE that mustard/gold/citrine/chartreuse velvety coat. Who cares what the colour is? It's gorgeous! The gold embroidery on the scarf, the stitching detail on those fab shoes, and that beautiful yellow turquoise bracelet pull it all together wonderfully. You are CLEVER!
    And a hat too, perfect.
    How's your poorly hen? Feeling better, I hope. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These colors together are so pleasing to my eye - and you look wonderful in them. Say what, those shoes are comfortable as well as kick-ass fabulous?

    Good thoughts are sent to Henrietta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These colors together are so pleasing to my eye - and you look wonderful in them. Say what, those shoes are comfortable as well as kick-ass fabulous?

    Good thoughts are sent to Henrietta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfection. Yep, just the right amount of wasabi makes all the difference. And the accessories, and the dimensions, and the details, and the combinations, textures, and of course...the one and only Amber!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely outfit to wear to a...shoe unity ceremony? You made me laugh. Also I think I may have found a pair of Aw Dammit shoes. If I buy them, I'm totes blaming you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, yum, another wonderful mossy colored jacket!! it's a winner winner winner! :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about the wide brimmed question and as I read my above comment, I see the spelling mistake! Worn instead of won! Sometimes I wonder how many of those mistakes have been made and I don't even know!

    I do wear wide brims at times, out and about. Especially when the sun is out. And wide brims look stunning on so many people for any occasion, any day, anywhere. For me, once my hat is on my head I don't take it off, so at times that limits my choices. Basically, I think that rules about hat wearing are what we make up for ourselves. As in so many other areas. And I celebrate hat wearing any day, any way. Thanks for making me think, Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This outfit! The whole thing - just love! The hat does have a more formal feel to it. I tend to think of more casual hats as being closer to the head maybe? Who knows though, I'm a total hat novice.

    Also those shoes are incredible! I can't believe they're fly london, very different from their round toe wedge-y heels of today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forget oxblood, bring on the mustard! And that hat- such a grand entrance and statement- lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally missed the challenge! I love the hat and that necklace is just too wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Speechless! One word! Speechless! That hat is smokin!!! xoxo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look stylish and outstanding in this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous outfit, from the crown of your hat to those deliciously pointy toes! I would agree with Sheila about the size of the hat brim - this one does feel like an "outdoor hat". I tend to not wear hats to work as my outfits get enough attention, but on a weekend I will wear a hat all day, and most of them are smaller brims and close to the head. I have a lovely wide-brimmed felt fur hat that I haven't been able to figure out how to wear yet, but soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great outfit Amber! That coat is just the best - with the hat! I love all the textures you've added to this outfit, and the shoes, amazing! Your mom really picks the best gifts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never disappoint Amber! LOVE those pointy shoes, I bet they are comfy! And that hat, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yes, I changed my name again...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those shoes are to die for and the Vivienne Westwood boots I am drooling... . Love your looks and the hat well Im a milliner so what can I say its great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, everyone! I so appreciate the hat info - fascinating to me how we can absorb things such as "this hat = outerwear" without the accompanying "why" of something looking "right" or "not-right". Learning those "whys" can make getting dressed much more efficient, as well as allowing for deliberate engagement and conscious choice around convention. Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber