Saturday, 13 October 2012

Patterns of Secrecy

Well, they are not actually secret. But what I like about this outfit is between the reversible scarf and skirt of recycled sari fabric, there are so many bits of pattern that don't get seen all at once, but reveal themselves in motion. Last night I was out with my best friend of ages, Fiona of Oakhill Design Company, who was celebrating her live television debut - congrats, doll!!! - and our Julie


scarf: local discount / overstock store, last worn here with dotted side out
sleeveless trench coat dress: Cynthia Rowley, Marshall's, worn here and here
recycled sari fabric skirt: Alchemy Eco-fashions, The Circle Game (local shop), half price
shoes: Fluevog Prepare Guide, worn here and here 
(with same dress)




I wore the necklace, dress, and shoes together just recently, but though it has a lot of the same elements, wanted to wear this outfit before it gets too cold (I've also got on some grey leggings, from Jacob almost 20 years ago, which usually live in my pj drawer). Do you find yourself doing that too? 




Being with friends was such a nice break from all the busy overload and deadline driven-ness. It doesn't look to be letting up just yet, but is shifting and changeable in its patterns too. I have been missing commenting on others' blogs and responding to comments here. 


antique moonstone necklace: a 40th Birthday gift from my mother and father, worn here and here (with same dress and shoes)
top: Ricki's, thrifted




Though I am so tempted to stay at home in jammies, I had better stay in motion myself - I've got some mundane things to attend to and an anniversary celebration to attend. I let my hair grow an extra week, and it is super-shaggy-riffic, plus the tectonic plates under Laundry Mountain seem to have thrown up not just a new peak but an entire range. I am looking forward to figuring out something fun to wear!

Hope y'all are well, and having a good weekend too.


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful Amber, you are like a swishy Chagall like ocean wave. If I saw you out on the town I would be caught staring. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joni! The ocean connection is very fitting, the Chagall a great compliment.

      Delete
  2. You look like a wonderful watercolour! It reminds me of beaches and driftwood and dark ocean swells. Beautifully anchored by the Fluevogs (of course).

    I always feel guilty when I don't have time to respond to comments or blogs, but we live our lives first! That's what keeps us interesting as bloggers.

    Happy weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila - such wonderful water imagery! I appreciate the reassurance as well.

      Delete
  3. That really is spectacular, Amber. All the swooshy-ness and structure with the subdued colors. A work of art to be sure. Wondered where you were, it was so quiet in the barn...so it's good to know everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pao, you are so kind to think of me, and to leave such beautiful feedback.

      Delete
  4. When I look at your outfit I am reminded of an elegant woman traveling on an oceanliner circa 1930's. Lovely.
    Connie*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting, Connie! I totally love that silhouette to which you refer - with substantial pleats / ruffles below a more fitted long skirt, which this sari-skirt's arrangement slightly evokes.

      Delete
  5. I love the layering here. It reminds me of kimono layers, like a maiko on really tall geta. I may be on fall break, but I'm busier than school times. Like you said, just gotta keep rolling.

    Also ever since you posted those Arche shoes, I'm been googling my butt off to check them out. So many of their designs are gorgeous and sci-fi, many more classic and comfy looking. Too bad my size seems sold out and devoid of cute options on ebay. Otherwise I might be breaking my self-imposed ban already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More lovely reflections, thanks Megan! Yes, I was just as busy if not more so when I was away from the office these past weeks, aargh!

      Arche shoes are a perfect example of what we're all pining for - amazing, interesting footwear which doesn't rely on outrageous heel height, with the advantage of being totally comfortable to wear for long stretches and activities. Yes please! Good luck!

      Delete
  6. These layers are beautiful, the patterns and colors complimenting each other so well. I know I definitely wear favorite things in waves, repeating them in different configurations back to back. Plus as you said, because of the weather, you'd better enjoy them now! I really, really love your shoes, too.

    Glad to see you and know all's well. Hope the rest of your weekend is good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! Sometimes I find myself bridging my outfits through the week - wearing the same scarf with a different outfit, the next day, repeating shoes, jewelry, a jacket - heavy-rotation-remixing!

      It means so much that you're thinking of me - all is well, xo

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous soft layers, lots of lovely pattern and texture, you do this so well, Amber!
    Life is always full, and blogging has to take its place in the queue. I tend to prioritise it over laundry though, because I am bad!
    Hope you weekend is proving delightful. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curtise! Your "badness" is my favourite! :)

      Delete
  8. More than an outfit, your wear an art composition, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ( sigh of joy and admiration)
    have a lovely Sunday, Anvil.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sacramento - in mutual joy and admiration!

      Delete
  9. Life is hard; glad you can grab some joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ally - it's what makes it all worth living, eh?

      Delete
  10. I love layers and your outfits remind me to layer it up even more. Everyone understands about the comments I think. We all get busy and then other times we have some time and can stop by and say hello. Thanks for sharing your amazing style Amber, I love coming here and seeing your creations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate you taking the time to leave THIS lovely comment!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber