Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Gaucho Marks

A really long day today. I took many outfit photos, trying to look less tired! I was pretty crumpled by this point, inside and out:

peacock scarf: a gift from my mother street vendor, Mexico 
jointed leaf necklace: Tradewinds (local shop) 
dress: Fat Beauty thrifted, $7 belt: thrifted 
gauchos: Larry Levine Winners, mega-clearance 
shoes: Kenneth Cole Reaction 
Winners, clearance, $14



My wrinkled backside, evidence of extensive paperwork toil.

These shoes are one of my best scores ever, back in 2002. There was a pile of them, and when does that ever happen with something so excellent in size 11? I went back and got myself a back-up pair, by which time they'd been reduced to $11. Mythical!




Do you ever do that with things you love? I have an over-commitment issue. When I needed new glasses, I couldn't find anything I liked as well as these, and I scoured ebay for the exact same ones. It's happening right now with my Swiss Army watch, a beloved gift in 1994, worn near-daily since. Send good thoughts as I wait for the repair estimate! Comfort objects.

Speaking of comfort, can you believe no one wanted these gauchos? :) Bunches of them clogging the clearance rack. Lucky for me, I've been searching for cropped wide-leg pants. 

I was so ready to get home.
An outerwear pic, inspired by Sheila.

trench coat: bebe Haute Look
purse: Bagatique outlet store








Sleep tight, everyone.

18 comments:

  1. I like the colors in your outfit and the shoes are especially cute. You're a rare person who understands the difficulty of finding shoes in big sizes. I went to two shoe-stores today (DSW and Payless) and neither had any about size-10. I can squeeze into an 11 but a 10 is pure torture. Thanks for your comments on my blog; I enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Ally! I'm a fan of your blog and just loved your second styling of the coral & black dress in response to reader suggestion.

      Shoes that fit do make me inordinately happy. My poor giant feet seem to always be in need of more happiness, and how can I refuse them? ;)

      I don't know DSW, but am sad to hear of your Payless experience. I haven't been to one in a good while, but they have generally seemed to carry at least some shoes in our sizes. Another pet peeve of mine is wonky pattern / scale translation - it happens at about size 10 that shoes which are fantastic-looking in smaller sizes just look weird, aaauuugh!!! The debate about Bigfoot's existence is utter nonsense - we are out there, and hungry for shoes!

      Delete
  2. I love this outfit. The colors are just perfection! And thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your wonderful comment! I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.

    Gracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracey, I am totally stoked that you came by! Thanks for YOUR wonderful comment! I so enjoyed following your journey through the land of Nosh Opping - I need to not be such a tourist there myself. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm on the opposite side of the shoe spectrum and often curse my tiny feet. My favorite brands (Trippen, Fluevog, and Cydwoq) are on ebay in abundance in size 9-11, but my tiny size 6 feet has to scour the internet for sample/display shoes.

    I love your dress layering. I'm going to have to try layering wider leg pants under some dresses. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pickings are definitely slim at either end of the size spectrum. I'm a long-time Fluevogger, but Cydwoq and Trippen are on my wish list. I admire how you went ahead and made yours happen - they are awesome!

      This particular layering is the comfiest ever!

      Delete
  4. Very nice! Reminds me a lot of The Fashionable Bureaucrat's style. Rust and olive together is a wonderful combo, and I'm coveting the gorgeous shawl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shawl is definitely a most-loved for me. Thanks for the compliment - Megan is totally fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous scarf; it pairs beautifully with the army green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting and for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. Your layering is masterful. I believe I've been inspired to pull something new together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan - that is ESPECIALLY awesome coming from you. I think so highly of your style!

      Delete
  7. Count me as a fan, too, Amber - and thank you so much for your nice comment (and for the link/shout-out!). I really like your funky style - it does very much remind me of Megan (Fashionable Bureaucrat).

    I've got a pair of wide cropped pants in my capsule this month...hmmm, I wonder if I could pull this look off? Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eee! Thanks!!! Can't wait to see what you do with your wide cropped pants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent layering and colour mixing! I'm following you now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! I'm already a follower of yours - you're so awesome.

      Delete
  10. I covet your shoes. Every time you say you wear size 11, I'm gobsmacked. Of course, I think all the bloggers I follow are really tall, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! I wear these particular shoes a lot. I too think everyone must be super-tall, that is so funny! I wouldn't have known you were petite by your photos alone either! I'm 5'6" in case anyone is curious.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber